January 22, 2014

Weight-Loss Wednesday #3



Greetings... 


I hope everyone has had a great week so far! Mine is moving right along and I'm just waiting on Fridaaaaay to get here soon! I'm super excited to be going to the Honda Battle of the Bands here in Atlanta, GA! I haven't been in quite a few years and although my glorious Alma Mater will not be there this time, it will not stop me from wearing my sweatshirt and representing them in their absence!

So I've been going with the whole concept of not 'dieting' or counting calories, because the book called Eat Q recommends not to. A world without dieting?!? Yes I know. The whole idea is that you want to live life like...... well normal I guess. I don't know what most thin/skinny people do, but I'm sure they don't always go around counting every little calorie they put into their mouth, right? At least I hope not.. In any case, that's not how I want to live my life. I just want to know what I should and shouldn't eat, make sure it still tastes good, and doesn't require for me to starve myself and deny my body of nutrients. So with that being said I thought I'd share more tips on what the book says that can also help in the mental warfare that occurs when choosing what to eat and when to stop eating.

P.A.U.S.E 

Perceive * Recognize that this is the moment you chose what you’re going to eat

Allow * At least 10 mins for that thought to sink in

Understand * what your feelings are in the moment and why as well as pay attention to your body                               language (i.e slumped shoulders, clenched fists)

Stay * In the moment and lean into the feelings instead of away from them

Entertain * the options you have to either stop eating or keep eating


This method was probably created for me. I find that I have the mindset of needing to finish everything on my plate, so as not to be wasteful. I hate wasting food. Whenever I'm leaving food to be thrown away, I hear that little voice in my head that says, 'Um, what are you doing? Don't you know there is someone starving somewhere right now?!? You better eat it!' Then I feel guilty for not eating it, but then if I eat it I feel guilty for getting full. Oh what a catch twenty-two! Guilt is a sneaky little unwanted mistress, no? 

The great thing about reading this book is that it’s forcing me to become aware of my habits, that way I can stop them. Such as, it just now occurred to me today that I've been treating eating healthier like a job. I can generally do great for breakfast and throughout the day at work, but as soon as I get home I feel like I'm finally on my own time and I can do what I want. I stop drinking water or anything for that fact when I get home and I tend to have a bigger portion of food for dinner. Now that I know that I can watch for that! 

Okay, that’s all for now. Give me your thoughts on the P.a.u.s.e. method and tell me about your struggles or successes! Until next week..

Ciao!
 
 A. Sparkle

4 comments:

  1. A world without dieting??? Whaaaat? This is such a great philosophy. I'm going to have to try it out!

    New follower from EBT :)
    www.infinityampersand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? lol.. It kinda feels like taking a wild stab in the dark, but I think it's a good thing. ;)

      Delete
  2. when I am on that path of eating better, I remove the word diet from my brain and just think healthy choses, my problems lie in being motivated to get in the exercise that I need to completely aid the weight loss process, and when I don't see a lot of results I become discouraged. I must admit that having a little P.A.U. S. E. could help as well. partner in crime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm right there with you on the exercising! I think the lead up to exercising itself is worse than the work. Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...