October 31, 2014
October 29, 2014
The thing that I realized about how I was eating and how I'm eating now, is that I feel much better in my own skin. And quite frankly I feel more confident! Whenever I've tried to live a healthier life in the past, I was successful because I followed the rules. Unfortunately (since I gained it all back) I don't think I really noticed that I felt better and not so heavy and weighed down.
~ pun intended :op ~
I'm still struggling with portion sizes, specifically for dinner but I think I'm starting to grasp things better. For any of you struggling with portions like myself, Everyday Health has 10 great tips to help with portion control. You'd be surprised by what you think a serving size is as opposed to what it really is. Here are a few tips they have..
Learn how to estimate serving sizes. ‘Ballpark’ food portion sizes by estimating serving sizes in comparison to known objects,” says Rose Clifford, RD, clinical dietitian in the department of pharmacy services at the Washington Hospital Center in Washington, DC. “For example, three ounces of cooked meat, fish, or poultry is about the size of a deck of cards.” Other easy measurements to eyeball include:
- ½ cup is the size of an ice cream scoop
- 1 cup is the size of a tennis ball
- 1 ounce of cheese is the size of a domino
Use portion control dishware. Pick out smaller plates, bowls, cups, and glassware in your kitchen and measure what they hold. You might find that a bowl you thought held 8 ounces of soup actually holds 16, meaning you’ve been eating twice what you planned.
If you want to check out the rest of the tips, you can go here to check things out and snoop around. What other tips and tricks do you use to control your portions? Let us know!
October 27, 2014
- Okay, so I didn't do any studying for coding last week... BUT! I did just do some before we started having this little conversation. Or rather, I tried to.. there are some buffering issues. I'll work it out later.
- I talked about journaling and meditating last week. I didn't do it everyday, but I did get some in. Still in a win in my eyes. I used to do some hard core journaling when I was younger. I'm talking about writing every.single.day. Everything was such a big deal back then and it seemed worthy of writing it down. I guess my memoir has already been written! Hee hee..
- I needed to make a coaster and cup warmer set last week and I totally knocked it out of the park. In fact, I made two. I wasn't all that happy with the color combos, hence how the 2nd one was born. I told the guy I was making them for that he could choose either one. He actually ended up buying them both to my delight (and surprise)! Somebody high five me! ^5 :)
- I've really been pushing myself to stay up late, for whatever reason. I suppose that I'm just trying to get a little bit more time out of the day. I've been paying for it, so now it's time to get some rest! It's no fun waking up in a pool of drool because you were sleeping so hard from self inflicted exhaustion. lol.
- I've got quite a few crochet projects going on right now and I'd really like to do a little bit of work on them everyday. I can't say that this will be a very hard goal since I am addicted to crocheting, but a worthy goal nonetheless.
October 24, 2014
October 22, 2014
I will admit something to you. Just like an adolescent boy that thinks about sex every other minute, I too do this... but with food! The hamster wheel goes something like this:
- 7 AM ~ I should eat breakfast, although I'm not hungry. It is the most important meal of the day after all.
- 8:30 AM ~ Hmm.. is it time to eat again?? They say your body goes into starvation mode after 2-3 hrs. Oh! It's not 9:30 yet? I'll wait till then.
- 9:25 AM ~ Well, it's close enough to 9:30. I'm gonna snack now. Nom Nom Nom.
- 11:00 AM ~ Damn! Why didn't I pack another snack??? Lunch isn't until 1 PM and I'm starving! I'll just grab one fun size Snicker bar from the candy lady. It's only 50 calories. It's fine.
- 11:30 AM ~ Aw, man.... I ate 3 fun size Snickers. Probably shouldn't have done that.
- 1 PM ~ Whoo Hoo! Sweet freedom it's finally lunch time! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat dooooooo IIIIIIII eaaaaaaaat!?! I can't decide on what to eat and my precious lunch hour is whittling away. I'll just grab some Wendy's since it's close by. I should get a 'healthy' sub from Subway, but I really don't want that. I want that burger I saw on tv last night! Yes... that will be really good.
- 1:45 PM ~ WHYYYYYY? Why did I eat that big burger and fries. Now I feel sleepy and heavy and bloated. Okay. Let's just get some coffee to make it through the afternoon.
It's comes down to that old saying of "Fail to plan and you plan to fail". It's so much easier for me not to obsess about food when I already know what I'm eating throughout the day. If you're like me, here are some great links to help you get started!
You can be walked through it in baby steps with Organized Home.
So do you do meal planning? I've found that I really like it, because all I have to do is follow the plan.
October 21, 2014
So what's been going on with you? I feel like I'm going through a period of personal growth lately. I think this weeks wishes will reflect that.
- Can I be honest with you? Just between you and me... I'm a
little(a lot) nervous about getting back into coding or even studying how to code. A while back, I took and advanced class to learn how to code. Initially I was geeked about learning something new. Then I got in class and felt like a complete and utter dunce. It made me a little discouraged and afraid to dive back in. What if I'm not good at it and all the negative voices in my head are right?? I let my fears convince me to not crack open one studying session this week. You know what that means.. I gotta put it back on the list for this week!
- Now I was all over de-cluttering the living room! Done and done! I even got rid of quite a few articles of clothing and made tons of room in the closet. It felt really good. I plan on getting rid of even more at some point. Maybe I'll tackle shoes next.
- Sometime last week I finally saw a little light in the tunnel of my darkened creative tunnel. Yay! I posted about this really kool street art mural and it among other things got my imagination moving right along.
- Here we are again at doing some studying for coding. The Boo and I decided to have studying night some time this week. I'm thinking Wednesday. It will be a nice little mid-week break from the norm. I haven't decided if I'm going the book route or the online lesson method. We shall see.
- So like I was saying at the top, I really feel like I'm in a state of growth. I'm been surrounding myself with positive sayings, words, and pictures. I'm excited that Deepak and Oprah will be having another free 21 day meditation series starting November 3rd. I figure I may as well get a head start and get back into meditation and journaling. I want to meditate for at least a couple minutes every day and maybe journal twice this week.
- This morning when I came into work, one of my co-workers noticed a few people with the cup warmers I've made. When he inquired where they came from, I was delighted to inform him that I was the source of such colorful creations. Now I have an order to do one for him! Yay! My goal is to finish it by Friday. :)
October 17, 2014
I was scouring the internet for art that caught my attention and this painting totally made me laugh! I really love and appreciate street art. It always seems to have some sort of humor, deep thought, or optical illusion attached to it. This mural has a softness to it, like watercolor paints (even though they aren't watercolors) and humor. I totally dig this and kudos to whomever the artist is. I'm sure it was no easy feat! The thing that's killing me is that the tongue is so life like.... I love it!
Honorable Mention: The sky this morning was just beautiful! Half the sky was covered in the dark ominous clouds and the other half was clear with fiery red and orange colors. It was as if the sky was on fire! There was a plane flying through as well that added dramatic effect. It appeared to be dragging the 'fire' with it. :)
What has inspired you today or this week?
October 15, 2014
“Make It Work”
I pretty much stick to aerobics, walking or yoga (which is my favorite). And speaking of which, DoYouYoga has a great website that I like to go to, to get inspired! I think yoga is my favorite, because you work on your mind and your body. Plus, I don't always feel like jumping and dancing around like a maniac trying to get a good work out in.
October 14, 2014
- I was able to work on the baby blanket pretty much every day last week and some on the weekend. It's a slow process right now, because my wrist tendons are somewhat inflamed right now. I do a little bit everyday and it's exciting to see it grow. I even went to my crochet group on Friday and hung out with the ladies at Starbucks! Crochet... Pumpkin Spice... Laughter.. Can't beat that, right?
- Writing out a schedule for my meals really worked for me last week! It was great! I mainly focused on dinner as far as what I was going to cook and/or eat on a certain night. I stuck to it all for one day. This is still a total success in my book. The ultimate goal here is to stop eating out so much. Plus I'm just really tired of fast food. Cooking at home forces me to eat different things and maybe throw in a vegetable or two. :)
- I wanted to exercise at least 4 times last week and I ended up doing 3 or of 4. I'm still happy with this. I was really tired last week, but I'm totally feeling the benefit of the exercise this week thus far. It always seems to take my body about a week to catch and realize that I'm exercising more or eating right. Are you like that too or do you see results right away?
- I really want to make a concentrated effort to get some studying in this week for coding. I tried to yesterday while I was on my breaks at work, but the internet on my phone didn't want to be agreeable. I plan on studying at least two nights this week.
- As sad as I am to admit this, I really need to de-clutter my living room. It's one of those situations where you have a series of days where you are knackered and purse, yarn, shoes, lunch bags, and laptops, just get thrown on the couch and/or tables with promises thrown over the shoulder to put them away soon. Soon hasn't really come yet, but I want to remedy that this week!
- I've felt a little on the non-creative side lately and so I've decided to make it my personal business to find some art that inspired me and gets some juices flowing.