February 17, 2014

On Perfectionism..

Greetings!
 
As I often try to, I watch Super Soul Sunday on OWN. For those of you that don't know, Super Soul Sunday is a shown on Oprah's network that features different talks with (for lack of a better phrase) spiritual leaders of our time.
I simply love it. It truly feeds my soul.
 
Although I'm about a year late in watching it, I watched the episode with Brene Brown. It's was total awesome sauce! One of the many topics that was discussed was perfection. I consider myself a former perfection addict. When I was younger I felt a lot of pressure to be this perfect role model, to be more mature than my peers, to never show too much emotion, and to never make any mistakes.
 
It carried over into adulthood until I became completely weighed down by it and realized that you can't be perfect and please anyone but yourself. Everyone and I mean everyone will always have an opinion of you and who they think you are instead of who you really are.
 
Brene Brown defined perfectionism as such:
 
"If I look perfect, do it perfect, work perfect, and live perfect, I can or minimize shame, blame, and judgment."


I had never thought about it before as to why it was so important to be perfect or what I was trying to avoid in making mistakes, but she hit the nail on the head on this one. I feel it to be %100 true.
 
Where do you stand on trying to be perfect? Are you a perfection addict or could you care less?
Let me know!
 
Ciao!
 
A. Sparkle 

1 comment:

  1. LOVE THIS! I've been a huge Brene Brown fan since I read Daring Greatly about a year ago. I've struggled with perfectionism ALL my life, but she gave me a better framework for understanding and fighting it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...