April 3, 2014

What do You Want to be When You Grown Up?

Greetings...



As of late, I've been really thinking about what it is that I'd like to do with my life and what I'd like to accomplish. When you're a kid, people always ask you what you want to be when you grow up. I've known since I was five that I wanted to be an artist. It was always my first love. I was good at it, it made me feel great, and it was fun.
I didn't understand at the time why I would always get that funny look from adults when I said I wanted to be an artist or have a job in a creative field. While they would gush all over my peers for wanting to be lawyers or doctors, I was left standing there baffled as to why they weren't excited for me too! I understand now that I would get those looks, because in their head they were saying "You poor delusional child. You will never make any money doing that. You need a 'real job' dear." 
Not being interested in anything else I decided to follow my dreams and I set out to be an art major in college and earned my degree. Now I am a paper pusher by day and an all around creative artist person by night, because let's face the facts: Everyone needs a steady paycheck.

When you're in school and have the opportunity to do internships, that's great and gives you a leg up. But what about the adults wanting to make a career change and pursue what they really love? How do you break into the game?

________________________________

The question that I pose to you dear friends is: Do you think it's better to train/go to school for something that will make you money and you will possibly hate......?

 Or
Pursue something you love and are passionate about, with the possibility of not making much money at it??


_________________________

Some people argue that you should go for the career that makes you money, because more than likely you'll hate your job anyway. They figure if you couldn't make money as let's say a singer, then you'll have to have a job nevertheless. May as well be one that pays well.

The other side of this is why not pursue what you love? I don't know about you, but if I was doing what I loved, I wouldn't mind working 24/7 to get the job done!

 Are you doing what you love? Did you pursue something you never liked, but it pays well? Share your opinion and your story! I'm curious. ;o)

Ciao!




2 comments:

  1. I'm kind of in that situation now. I don't hate mynjob, but I don't love it either. But it does pay good money and help me pay my bills. I would honestly rather do something I'm more passionate about, and I've been trying to search for that job, but it's hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It is hard! I have this niggling inside of me right now to find out what it is that I want to do career wise and it's not going away.. Good luck in your research, I'm sure you'll be successful! :) Thanks so much for your comment!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...